Sign in to follow this  
Kenakth

Speed mod and thrusters may need toning down?

9 posts in this topic

I'm going to start this off by saying I'm fairly new to the game, so take anything I say here with a grain of salt. These are concerns I have about some mods which have been added to the server, and are my own opinion. If my information is incorrect, feel free to add that to the thread.

I'm not really sure what the speed mod really accomplishes in its current form on this server. It's a nice idea, but in execution I think it falls short.  The render time/distance is so low in this game that 400 m/s is not helpful for small grid ships, leaving them more or less without a role in PvP.  The render distance is around 1.6km, which means you travel the entire render distance in 4 seconds. Add in lag and render times, and often, you will be too close to the enemy ship to stop or change directions before their turrets are firing at you.  Additionally, the high speeds render rockets useless, and often dangerous to your own ship. The game wasn't balanced around having ships moving this fast. I would propose lowering large ship speeds from 180 m/s down to the base 100 m/s, and then changing small grid ships from the current 400 m/s down to ~150 m/s. This still gives small ships a speed advantage, while not having any serious downsides. Ideally, ships will render in before either of you is in firing range, helping to balance PvP between large grid and small grid ships, and it won't really negatively impact travel times, as it's most practical to just use a jump drive to get around anyways.

This brings me to the second mod: tiered thrusters. I feel like I'm going to get some hate for this one, but I do want to say I understand that with the high max speeds on this server, they do make life a bit better. Tiered thrusters allow for poor shipbuilding practices (not having to care about mass/thrust ratios), and they allow for ships which are far, far too heavy for vanilla-powered weapons to deal with. In my short time here, I've heard of a few ships with 3-6 layers of heavy armour. I'm not trying to call out any of these people - I get it. If you can build something super heavy that is obscenely strong, you're going to build it. Who wouldn't? But the game's weapons are not balanced for that, and adding weapons which are will make any ships smaller or lighter than those heavily armoured behemoths essentially useless. This is especially an important problem when we're limited to ~10 gats and 10 missile turrets per ship, and missiles are less useful with the high velocities we have. It's my opinion that tiered thrusters are somewhat game breaking and should go.

A question I have to add to all of this: Do the high speeds or large ships enabled by the thruster mods contribute to lag? I don't have enough information to know any of that, so I'd be interested for someone who does to chime in.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading,

Kenakth

it sounds like what your trying to say is we need nuclear laser bombs to deal with the armor and the weight of all of the blocks increased to deal with the thrusters.

lol jk

I would like to hear what everyone else has to say about this as well. For one i like the Tierd Thrusters just because i can move MUCH larger ships with less engines and honestly the speed mod i only cared about when i was in atmo so i can take it or leave it. 

But it is nice to have missiles fly fast enough to hit targets. 

7 minutes ago, Headword said:

it sounds like what your trying to say is we need nuclear laser bombs to deal with the armor and the weight of all of the blocks increased to deal with the thrusters.

YES! But only if I can programmable block it to target the nearest other player's grids, with no max range.

I am Fatmandancing and I approve this Message.

However in addition to what Kenakth said I feel that the thruster mod also makes light armor useless when heavy armor is so easy to move around. It's the acceleration that is the problem not necessarily the top speeds with regards to the tiered thrusters and light armor.

Edited by Fatmandancing
  • Like 2

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I did some testing earlier today in creative, using an anchored target and missile launcher, so that the launcher would hit the exact same spot every shot:

Heavy Armour tests:

Single layer of heavy blocks took 60 missiles to destroy a single block, including warping damage.

Seven layers took 356 missiles to drill a one block wide hole. This obviously requires that you have perfect accuracy and hit the same block every single time, which gets harder the deeper the hole gets.

2 Layers of heavy armour with a single space between them took 121 missiles to punch a 1-block width hole through both layers. Also unlikely with vanilla weapons.

Light Armour Test:

Eight layers of light armour: 24 missiles to punch through. The fact that it's lighter doesn't really matter, because tiered thrusters allow for the use of heavy armour, or often multiple layers of heavy armour, with good enough mobility.

Light armour is essentially made useless by tiered thrusters, and ships can be built which are too tanky for vanilla weapons to kill or disable, while still being mobile. It's bordering game-breaking if PvP is supposed to be a thing on the server.

Edited by Kenakth

A limit on the tiered thrusters may work. Alternatively, are you able to adjust the settings on the tiered thrusters? Or are those fixed?

Here is my suggestion. Limit the number of tierd engines per grid.

I can make it a soft limit or a hard limit. Lets say 2 max large tier 4 thrusters per grid. This would still allow you to get a capital ship up to speed but would REALLY limit a lot of the other problems your talking about. But it wouldent affect people who use them to move miners etc.

I agree 400m/s is too much. It's not practical and causes more problems that it solves. Use jump drives for long distance travel.

I think a very simple solution to the thruster problem is to remove the modded reactors. The tier 4 thrusters provide 16x the thrust, but if I'm not mistaken also draw ~16x the power (correct me if i'm wrong). So if you simply remove the ability to power an entire ships worth of thrusters by building 1 reactor, it would put it more in perspective for people building with the tiered thrusters (of which I am a big fan). I think the tiered thrusters help streamline builds, and keeps things neat and simple. My large grid mining ship can move around with just some small t4 thrusters and it makes the quality of life much better. Just my .02

Edited by Olozim